bmw-digest

Hello Everybody,

I just bought my first BMW.  My 13-year old son and 15-year old daughter a=
re
on cloud nine, but my wife is somewhat disheartened.  She thinks that I=92=
going to use it to pick up women, which I swear is not the case  My old
Mustang was limping along on its last leg, and needed to be replaced.  Wha=
better to replace it with than a BMW?

I happened upon this old dusty blue 1987 325ic, parked in a lot reserved f=
or
trade-ins at a Chevy dealer in town.  After brushing away the dust, I foun=
underneath a perfect rust-free blue body.  In the back seat of this luscio=
us
little gem, I found all the maintenance records on the car, including a bi=
ll
from last year for over $900.

Since, the dealer was selling it as is, I got the mechanic=92s name and th=
previous owner=92s name and called them both.  The mechanic said the car w=
as
sound.  The previous owner said it needed a $400 compressor for the A/C.  =
It
also needed a new top and tires.  After pricing a new top installed for $1=
200
(with liner) and a set of high performance tires, I decided to counter off=
er.

The BMW had 84,000 miles on it, black leather seats, and more gadgets and
flashing lights than on my wife=92s new Explorer.  The dealer wanted $6,50=
0 for
it.  The previous owner had traded it in for $6500 on a new Tahoe.  I adde=
d up
how much I was going to have to put into the BMW, and offered the dealer $=
6200
for it.  He quickly accepted the offer.

Because I just finished putting my oldest daughter through IU, and still h=
ave
three others at home who will be heading that way, I=92m on a pretty tight
budget.  I=92m also not much of a mechanic.
Therefore, any repairs that my old BMW is going to need, must be done as
cheaply as possible.

Since getting this wonderful car home, I=92ve noticed a few oil spots in m=
driveway.  I=92ve checked the oil several times and haven=92t noticed the =
level
dropping.  The top and sides of the engine are clean, so the oil is coming
from the bottom somewhere.

Because the dealer sold it so cheap or at least I think he sold it cheap, =
I=92m
kind of worried about the car (even though the previous owner and mechanic
said it was sound).  Actually, I=92m worried about my budget after the rep=
air
bills start pouring in.

Never having had a BMW before or any other foreign car for that matter, I=
=92m
not sure where to take it for servicing.  Can places like Q-Lube change th=
oil?  Besides the local BMW dealer, can I trust any of the shops who claim=
work on BMWs to get under the hood?

I really love the car and want to keep it well maintained.  Any wisdom you
could spare would truly be appreciated.

Michael

End of bmw-digest V9 #136