Kinetic stability

>Date: Wed, 02 Sep 1998 19:49:16 -0400
>From: "Steve D'Gerolamo" <steved3@domain.elided>
>Subject: Gyro Stabilizers

>Do any of the current high tech racers use gyro stabilizers (instead of or
>complemented by conventional stabilizer bars) to control body roll on the
>track?  Conceptually, this could be a massive flywheel mounted low and
>center on the car, rotating front to back on a shaft belt driven off a
>modified drivetrain.  The axis/shaft of the flywheel could be directly
>coupled via suspension links/mounts to the large chassis plates and the
>spinning mass help mitigate much of the chassis lean.

Steve D'Gerolamo - The Ultimate Garage
201-262-0412 / steved3@domain.elided / http://www.ultimategarage.com

Steve,

There was such a system used by Mercedes on one of their cars (I forget
which series) in which a weight low in the chassis was moved under computer
control to change handling as the car characteristics changed (I suspect
tire wear, fuel remaining, etc.).

- -Kevin
BMWCCA, GGC