Re: bmw-digest V9 #133

I purchased both Bentley and Haynes manual for comparison.  Bentley is
worth its weight in gold, while Haynes (even though its 3 times less
expsnsive) was a waste of money.

> You may want to ask them if the timing belt has been changed, that needs
> to be done every 50-60k.  While you're changing the timing belt It's
> also a good time to swap the water pump.  Another biggie to look at is
> the head bolts.  I guess the old hex style head bolts were snapping off
y in the valve train causing all sorts of damage.  You can tell by looking
> in the oil filler hole, and if there's torx style bolts your fine.  If
> you have the hex bolts they should be replaced.

I agree with David to change the waterpump, waterpump pulley when you
change the timing belt.  Except for the cost of the additional parts,
difference in labor is negligible.

What is the consensus on the mailing list regarding the head bolts?  I
would like to change my engine's headbolts, but was told there is a
chance it would induce headgasket failure.

End of bmw-digest V9 #134