RE: Getting into BMWs

Hi John,

I say go for it.  84k is very low mileage, and if the dealer agrees to
fix all the problems you listed, it sounds pretty good.  I have just a
tad over 200k on my '84 325e and it is still running strong.  Most of
the repairs that I've had to do was because of the previous owner.  If
you keep the maintenance up the thing will run forever.  It's not the
speediest 6 cyl, but it goes pretty good.  The maintenance on these
isn't too expensive, especially if you can do some of it yourself.  Get
the Bentley repair manual.  I've been able to do a lot of work myself
using the Bentley.  And of course the digest has been a huge help too.

You may want to ask them if the timing belt has been changed, that needs
to be done every 50-60k.  While you're changing the timing belt It's
also a good time to swap the water pump.  Another biggie to look at is
the head bolts.  I guess the old hex style head bolts were snapping off
in the valve train causing all sorts of damage.  You can tell by looking
in the oil filler hole, and if there's torx style bolts your fine.  If
you have the hex bolts they should be replaced.

I doubt the ///M badge means anything unless they've added some M3 parts
to it.  I would take the badge off if you buy it.  When I bought my car
it had the M badge on it.  Needless to say, it's been removed.

Good luck.
- --David Boyd, boydd@domain.elided
'84 325e 200k
BMW CCA