<E36>Reply-Ball Joints/Bushings

Herman wrote:

Can anyone brief me as to the common symptoms of worn ball-joints and/or
bushings in the E36 front suspension?  I'm aware of the 'on-car'
replacement procedure with the proper factory tool, but need opinions as to
a handling anomaly which I'm guessing may be traced to worn parts.  Tips on
how to check for worn joints would also be appreciated.
The reason I ask is because the handling on my car seems to have changed
subtly but perceptably in the last week.  To wit:
- - - the car seems to wander more when driven in a straight line; more
steering corrections are needed to keep it going straight
- - - more tramlining on grooved road surfaces and greater reactions to
expansion joints and longitudinal pavement seams than before
- - - for lack of a better term, it sometimes acts 'squirrelly'
- - - slight steering shimmy within the first mile or so of the AM commute --
but it goes away after a few miles and doesn't occur in the PM (this has
occurred before when the handling was normal); however, there is no shimmy
under braking nor unusual clunking noises
- - - I haven't hit any major potholes or curbs lately, so I don't believe I
knocked the alignment out of whack
- - - car is '92 318is, 61k miles, original suspension parts, 16" wheels and
X-brace
TIA,
Herman

=================
Hey Herman:
   Most common symptom of the ball joint failure is a clunking or knocking
sound when you go up or down the little 1 inch drop from your garage to your
driveway, or from the driveway to the street.  Ditto for recessed manhole
covers.  Only way I know to check is to lift the car, and try to lift the
wheel assembly straight up.   Worn ball joints will allow a small amount of
free play.  While the car is up, move the wheel assembly in/out, while
watching the inner control arm bushing, near the center of the car.  If
theres movement, time to replace those as well.  Both require special dealer
tools, and a press for the bushings.  But with 61k miles on a 1992, its
about time for them.  Had mine replaced at about 75 or 80 thousand, I
_think_.  Made a significant difference.
Beyond that, Im not certain of any other premature wear items in the front
suspension.  You may want to examine your sway bar bushings..it's possible
those are worn, and could be responsible for some excess tramlining.

Ron Browne
1992 318is
Bowie, MD