<E36> Symptoms of ball-joint wear?

Greetings:

Can anyone brief me as to the common symptoms of worn ball-joints and/or
bushings in the E36 front suspension?  I'm aware of the 'on-car'
replacement procedure with the proper factory tool, but need opinions as to
a handling anomaly which I'm guessing may be traced to worn parts.  Tips on
how to check for worn joints would also be appreciated.

The reason I ask is because the handling on my car seems to have changed
subtly but perceptably in the last week.  To wit:

- - the car seems to wander more when driven in a straight line; more
steering corrections are needed to keep it going straight

- - more tramlining on grooved road surfaces and greater reactions to
expansion joints and longitudinal pavement seams than before

- - for lack of a better term, it sometimes acts 'squirrelly'

- - slight steering shimmy within the first mile or so of the AM commute --
but it goes away after a few miles and doesn't occur in the PM (this has
occurred before when the handling was normal); however, there is no shimmy
under braking nor unusual clunking noises

- - I haven't hit any major potholes or curbs lately, so I don't believe I
knocked the alignment out of whack

- - car is '92 318is, 61k miles, original suspension parts, 16" wheels and
X-brace

TIA,
Herman