Getting into BMW's

      The year 1973, the place, Laguna Beach Ca. An old Army acquaintance had
bought a 1970 2002 while stationed in Belgium. Took it out one night along
Laguna Canyon, it was love at third bend in the road. Hell it got the mpg of
the VW beetle I was driving at the time and well we know the other advantages
very well. As I was planning to move back to Seattle soon, I figured there
would be more choices in So. Cal so I began the shopping. Knew I wanted a
sunroof, and found a 1969 2002 in No. Hollywood. Didn't get back to Orange Co
until I put brake pads in it. Bent front spindle, learned about front
suspensions right away. Got a used strut from some place near a drive-in
theater in Orange and saw my first BMWACA LA newsletter, the Whispering Bomb.
Finished my education, moved back to Seattle and discovered the Puget Sound
BMWACA in 1976, got elected historian in 1978 and have been a board member
ever since. Still got that 2002, now at full Ti specs with big ventilated
brakes, limited slip, yada yada etc. It's been my ride ever since, it had
68,000 when I bought it, it turned 400,000 going to the July club board
meeting, an proper way to do it. Its only left me in a lurch twice in all that
time. Yes many things have been changed or upgraded( the UUC long before M
cars and such) but it's still a pleasure to drive. It still embodies the
essence of what a BMW is, a tight well enginered great handling sedan. Sure
the new ones are faster, quieter and such, but the sweet song of Italian opera
singers(Weber 45DCOE's) near redline is still VERY sweet music to be
appreciated as often as possible.
Greg Mierz
GregM2002@domain.elided
Roster Manager