Huh? Synthetics and where are you?

>Date: Sat, 29 Aug 1998 03:42:06 EDT
>From: FAST4DR@domain.elided
>Subject: Mobil 1

>Just took my 98 M3 in for an oil change (3900 on her) today at the Concord
>dealership and the service writer told me I should not go to synthetic
yet.
>Are BMW's different in their need for petroleum based oil for
>break in purposes?  Please advise.  Thanks.  Oh, and if I could get some
info
>on the club in the area.
>Dave
>1998 M3///4

Dave,

First Concord, Concord where? Concord Mass. Concord, Calif. You need to be
more explicit. Why, because most of the Calif. Bay Area dealers are idiots
and we can give you advice on that basis alone.

But seriously, you can convert to synthetic at the first oil change. In
1999, my understanding is that BMW will supply a "BMW" synthetic for the 3
series for exclusive use. Some cars are now packed out of the factory with
the synthetic. Granted they may have been run through a ring bedding
procedure, but at 3900miles, I you have certainly done this as well.

- -Kevin