Re: E34 vibration

There seem to be two camps for the reason why E34's shimmy...the wheels
need balancing or the thrust arm (upper control arm?) bushings are shot.
Couldn't it be a little of both?  If your wheels are PERFECTLY balanced
there won't be much vibration for the bushings to soak up.  But if your
wheels are off by half an ounce and your bushings are shot...well you get
the idea.  Both bmp and bavarian auto sport sell replacement bushings for
about $120 a pair...I think BMP also has some nifty urethane bushings to
stiffen up the front end.    I've just eliminated the notorious e34
driveline vibration by having the whole driveshaft rebuilt, my next step is
to attack the front end vibration at 55-60 with some new urethane
bushings...I've had my wheels rebalanced numerous times with no success at
eliminating the vibration..and I'm not making friends with my local
discount tire staff ;-)

Happy Motoring
Lance Cameron
'89 535i/K&N/Sharked