E30 M3 Mods

In a recent digest the question came up about using the factory intake
gaskets or the Dinan gaskets.  The Dinan gaskets are NOT replacements to
the factory gaskets.  They are, in fact, just two thick pieces of gasket
material (one for each side of the factory gasket) and some Permatex
sealant.  Since the intake tract in the S14 engine is angled, use of the
Dinan gaskets results in two "steps" in each port.  Not something that
seems to me to be too good an idea.  Last I knew, Steve at Ultimate
Garage had a pretty good deal on factory gaskets.  I use a sealant with
these gaskets to ensure no vacuum leaks.

Don't mess with larger throttle bodies unless you are prepared to send
your head to Turner or someone who really knows what they are doing for
the rest of the intake mods (larger intakes, port machining, etc.).  The
S14 engine is not just a "bolt-on" engine.  It is a sophisticated product
of the motorsport division with a very high specific output.  In such
instances, incremental changes, such as larger throttle bodies, may
actually decrease performance unless accompanied by complementary changes
throughout the intake and exhaust tracts.

The most noticable changes you can make are the Jim C chip and the
Evolution exhaust cam gear (both available from Turner Motorsports).
They will raise horsepower by 20+, the rev limit to 7800, and give you a
wider usable torque band.  More power and a more livable engine at the
same time for somewhere around $350-400.  The next meaningful step that
you can take will cost you 10 times that figure.

Jerry Kolb
2002/M3

BMWCCA/BMWACA