<E46> First driving impressions

I took a 328i out for a spin yesterday.  This was the second E46 I've
been in, and it had a much higher quality feel to it (switchgear,
etc.) than the first.

Drivetrain:
  Power delivery is impressively smooth.  It lacks the visceral
"punch" that my 325e has, though.  And there's a slight flat spot
between ~5000 and 6500 rpm.  Just as it nears redline, it really
starts to pull again.  Clutch actions VERY light -- I felt like I was
doing leg presses when I got back into my car.  The shifter has a
precise, but isolated feel.

Chassis:
  Brakes are absolutely AMAZING!  This car stops on a dime.  Steering
is precise and direct, but lacks some road feel compared to my E30.
There was a little too much body roll when cornering (I didn't test
the sport package, though...), but the car does everything it's asked
to without complaint.

Overall:
  BMW has done a knock-out job.  It's almost too perfect -- the E46
lacks character.  It also feels fairly big and more isolated from the
road than other BMWs I've driven.  I'll be interested to see the new
coupe and M3...and also how well the new 3 sells!

   KC Boyce
   '85 325e
   E30 Eta Page: http://rikki.coloradocollege.edu/~k_boyce/