<E36> Fuel Gauge Prolems

Daniel writes:

Earlier this week I started my 95 ///M3 and noticed that the Fuel Gauge
was stuck below the empty mark.  The reserve light was also on.  I
knew I wasn't out of gas, cuz I just filled up the day before and my trip
odometer showed just a few miles driven.  So, I was at a red light turned
off the car and started it up again. Bam! Back to normal: Full tank.

Daniel, I have experienced the same problem with a 97 ///M3 following a
gas fill up.  This happened when I left the key in the accessory position
to listen to some tunes while I pumped gas.  The system eventually
corrected itself after a couple of engine stops/starts.

Try removing the key from the ignition each time you gas up (makes sure
everything is off) and see if this corrects the problem.  I don't know what
causes the problem, its just one of those gremlins we live with.  Hope
this helps.

Craig Eller
BMW CCA Everglades Chapter
97 M3 (newly Sharked)