re: e34 shakes and req for help

It seems that older e34s have a tendency to develop this shake around 50-60
mph. Recommended fixes are primarily the thrust (control) arm bushings
(usually to tougher ones from the e32 750, remilled to fit, I believe) and
replacing the idler arm.

I have an lowered/Bilsteined e34 535 with big brakes which had this problem
when it hit a rut in the road at that speed--it would shake incredibly and
only hard braking would stop it.
I've had the upper and lower control arms and idler arm replaced, and
supposedly the bushings replaced (the mech claimed they didn't need modifying
to fit).

Now, the car is OK over ruts, but from time to time will start the wobble at
50-60 over *perfectly smooth roads.* It's not nearly as teeth jarring as
before, but the fact that it persists is a real pain.

Hope this bit of experience helps, and I'd appreciate any thoughtful
commentary ont he persistenceof this problem.

Blake
89 535i(s) mods
93 525i