RE: attn e30 owners has anyone put after market tweeters in the pods?

> Date: Fri, 28 Aug 1998 01:57:26 EDT
> From: MPOWER1@domain.elided
> Subject: attn e30 owners has anyone put after market tweeters in the pods?
>
> has anyone succesfully change the factory tweeter to aftermarket using the
> factory tweeter pod?? ifPLEASE let me know how and what you replaced with
>
> thanks a milion
>
> cameron
> M POWER 1@domain.elided
> 88 325iS 128k
> ex 88 M3 owner 108k<--missed but for the better (i guess)

To answer a couple of tweeter pod questions...
Best sources are used parts retailers

Check with Jason Lile at jason@domain.elided

Or call Vines BMW parts at 1-800-214-4839 and ask for the pods.

The numbers that are molded into the pods are:
On the left side:
1 377 687 2L
    ITT
27525 10154

On the right side:
1 377 688 2R
   ITT
17525 10154

Now as far as application, I purchased a set of Boston Acoutics rally series
RC51.  These incorporatea a 5-1/4" mid bass driver and a 1" soft dome tweeter
with external crossover.  The mid fit great into the stock location, bit the
grille is to thick for the hood pull and for the glovebox to drop all the way.
 ( I modified the hood pull to stick out farther by placing washers between it
and its monting spot on the car.)

The tweeters fit perfectly into the holes left after I removed the factory
tweeters.  The stock tweeters are glued into the pods.  I used an exacto blade
and small screwdriver to scrape away as much glue as I could and cut some
material away from the tweeter to get deeper without removing material from
the tweeter housing ( pod ).  You can pop off the grille by using something
with a sharp point under one of the holes and pulling away.  The surface mount
flange of the Boston set fit perfectly within the opening and its flange
covered the slot prevoiusly used to hold the grille in place.

If necessary, I can take and scan a picture if anyone needs it.

Hope this helps some,
Jeff
BMWCCA 77366

- --
Jeff Schnellinger           | "Explain to me the scientific
BMW +JC +Alpine +RF +BA     |     nature of 'the whammi' "
mvnsnd at usa dot net       |          Agent Scully