RE: Stroking an M5, a little help please :-)

Got some great help, thanks guys! Could use just a bit more...

No turbos or superchargers exist as far as I can tell.

A few people mentioned Dinan as a source so I called them. To take my 3.6l
to 3.9l is $15K for parts alone... The guy told me we would be creeping into
the low $20K range by the time all was said and done including installation,
(other typically worn parts, labor, etc). WOW! Maybe in my next life.
Granted, Dinan does splendid work and so forth, yada-yada; but geez, seems a
bit high.

I was warned about some companies taking the kit too far and the dangers of
this; obvious common sense but in my lust for more speed, something easily
ignored-thanks Scott.

Spent some time on the phone with Carl Nelson @ La Jolla Independent/CNPR,
who told me I was nuts/crazy for wanting to do this, (he always tells me
this whenever I want to go faster), and warned about the instability of the
4.0l versions and to stay clear of them. His advice was to buy a 540i for
the V8 torque and then spend more money at his shop for suspension and
whatnot... I've probably spent enough there to put that man's kid through
college. <grin>.

Korman was mentioned as well and so back on the phone. $3600 for the kit,
(3.8l) producing 385hp with 345lb of the big T. I figure an additional few
hundred for replacement gaskets and whatnot for a nice round number of $4K.
Hmmm... Doesn't take things too far, VERY reasonable price, haven't heard
anything bad about them here... So I called back and asked "What if I yank
the engine and send you the whole thing, including port/polish, unshroud the
valves, etc?" Well, that is a bit more at $7K but might be worth it to not
have to worry about it. If I want a complete "Stock" rebuild as well, make
the total $13K.

I then called Frank Fahey, (sp?, probably butchered the poor man's name
here), who spent a few minutes of his valuable time explaining some things
to me; most importantly getting a leak down test to check the integrity of
my motor before going any further.

So the plan at this point is to get the leak down test and get everyone's
opinion of Korman's work/quality/etc.

- -james
1991 M5 waiting for more juice...
1997 M3 waiting for Dinan's intercooled supercharger?
1985 535i just plain waiting...