chip's 'n' tires

Car - 1987 BMW 325e acquired 1 year ago 2 weeks from now

I was told when I bought it that it has "a new Chip". Not knowing about
JimC, Autothority, Bav auto or even what he was talking about I though
Okay, I guess that's good. I have been using 87 octane gas through out the
year and have experienced no problems such as pinging or knocking. Shortly
after I got the car I brought it in for service because of a rough idle.
They adjusted a few things and I think they may have reloaded the original
software. (fuzzy memory)  I know for a fact that the top speed limiter s
not there.
Question is - is it possible to reload software without changing the chip?

I also put on new tires after I got the car, I purchased shit Bridgestone
Turanza's knowing that I would be putting on larger rims soon enough. Due
to the falling Russian Ruple and Asian economy this project has taken much
longer than anticipated. The front tires are now showing significant wear
on the outside. (less than 1 year) I would guess 50% tread left. I
definitely drive aggressively but need to know if this should cause any
concern. I don't feel significant body roll  and it does not bounce down
the road. Does my suspension need replacing?

TIA

ohh...Gotta go I hear Jim C., Eibach, and Bilstien calling.

Dave Larocque