<E30 Rustbox> Handling & exhaust

Hi everyone,
I'm finding this digest really useful for tips/advice - thanks!

Just a couple of questions:

The handling on my '85 316 seems odd at times. My drive home from work
is 15 miles on a twisty country road and 15 miles on the motorway. On
the twisty road, it's great fun, but the car feels more
stable/sure-footed when I go round a left hand bend, but feels like a
boat when I turn right. Could this be a suspension problem, or more
tyre-related? It's got the stock steel wheels with tall tyres. When I
can afford it I'll change them I think!

Also, my exhaust is making REALLY horrid noises at about 2000 rpm in any
gear - most noticeable in 2nd. It sounds more mechanical than blowing,
but I've tightened all the mounting points and it's still there. It
seems to be coming from somewhere around the centre box, which must be
fairly new, as it's still shiny rather than covered in crap. (I've had
the car 8 months now). Any ideas what could be causing the rattle - It's
quite embarrassing at traffic lights/in slow traffic!
I'm considering replacing the exhaust - would it be worth having the
whole lot from manifold to the end done, or just try & get rid of the
noisy bit? I'd like to point out that I'm quite hard-up at the moment,
so spending hundreds on an exhaust is out - could I not just bolt on a
piece of drainpipe & be done with it (Like most Fiesta/Corsa drivers
do!)  :-)

Thanks for your time
Adrian
'85 316
Basingstoke, UK

PS If anyone in the Basingstoke area knows of a good Mechanic (who
understands Carbs!) nearby, could you let me know - I've just moved to
the area and need someone to help me! Ta Muchly!