Re: Laser Ticket

On Mon, 24 Aug 1998 20:47:38 -0400, "Bradley J. Otoupalik"
<otoupalik@domain.elided> wrote:

>Hello Friends,

Hey hey, partner in crime.

>Well it happened again - those darn cops got me.  Now, save all of those
>posts saying that I deserve it - I do not want to hear that.

Honestly, we *do* deserve it.  I was clocked going 73 in a 55.  Well, I
doubt 73, but I certainly *planned* to go 65 - which is, you'll note,
illegal.  So according to the letter of the law, I was driving illegally.
According to the letter of the law, you probably were, too.

>Speed limits
>are just to generate revenue, anyone like myself who knows their history
>and/or has lived in Europe can attest to this.

I agree.  Completely.  I was picked out of a crowd of cars who were going
*faster* because I'm young and drive a BMW.  No other reason.  The officer
then proceeded to write me a bullshit ticket for having an out-of-state
license because he was pissed that I didn't pull over.  (Get this: he was
standing outside his unmarked car, pulled off the side of the highway, and
when I drove past him in the rightmost lane he actually *tried to run out
in front of me*!  All I saw was an idiot in a tan shirt possibly trying to
get my attention (he didn't even have his hat on) so I proceeded to take
the next exit as planned.  Then when I'm at the stoplight (if it'd been
turn on red I wouldn't have this problem) he pulls up alongside me, tells
me to pull over on a two-lane road with no breakdown lane, and then
creates every excuse in the book to (a) yell at me; (b) lecture me; and
(c) try to take my money away from me.

$143 for an out-of-state license, about $160 for 18 over.

>Now, What I need is any info that anyone has on fighting laser tickets.

Check Yahoo! under anti-speeding pages.  Lots of good information there,
including some (presumably) court-tested (mother-approved) stuff.

>know that Car and Driver in May '97 had an article that I could use, but I
>have lost that issue.  It talks about a New Jersey court that does not
>accept laser as a means of measurement.  Anyone have any other info.

Car and Driver has some of their articles archived online.  You should be
able to find the one in question pretty easily.

What a waste of time.  I know a guy who was pulled over for 90 in a 55 and
got away without even a *warning* (just a $40 fine for "not buckling his
seat belt," wink wink).

- ---
			 conversation, n.: a vocal competition
  emccoy@domain.elided in  which the one who is catching his