E34 fault codes & engine trouble

Hello -
Glad to find the list & BMW. Great cars! This is my first BMW, a '91
525iA (E34 w/ M50 engine). I have only had it a short while, and it has
started stalling! It will occasionally stall when first cranked, or when
starting off (warmed up) from a traffic light. I checked the FAQs and
other online resources to no avail, and checking the fault codes does
not reveal a code that I can find in the FAQ (my Bently's is on the way,
ordered Monday, before this started or it would be next day air!). When
I try to get the code, after the first blink it goes long pause, short
flash, long pause, long flash, long pause, short flash, long pause, long
flash, long pause - over and over again as long as you can stand to look
at it. Is this a 1-1-1-1 code? If so, what does it mean? If not, any
suggestions?

Love the car, but this is frustrating!

Thanks In Advance,
Andre Pollard