RE: recommendations on turning an E30 M3 into a track car?

>	Can anyone suggest the "must do"/"can do" mods one would make
>	to a stock E30 M3 in order to improve handling/braking/performance
>	for autoX/track/SCCA racing?

>		- harness/bar

Not recommended for the track; probably okay for autocross.  For the track,
get a rollbar or rollcage.

>		- roll cage

TC Kline makes a custom rollbar and custom rollcage for the E30 M3.

>		- fire extinguisher

Get a 5 lb Halon extinguisher from any racer supply house.  Pegasus has
them in stock.

>		- wheel/tire upgrades:
>			- larger diameter wheels
>			- wider rims

Lot's of opinions on this one.  It's damn hard to find the proper offset
for the E30 M3.  There are very few aftermarket wheels that will fit it.
You'll end up having to use spacers with most of them.  The stock 15X7
wheels are very good for the track.  It's what I race on, with a 225/50/15
tire.  The "plus one" setup is 16X8 with a 225/45/16 tire.

>			- R1's/A032Rs's

Hoo boy.  Are you gonna get a lot of different opinions on this one.
Here's mine:  The R1 is better in the dry.  The A032R is better in the
rain.  The Ao32 will last longer than the R1, but is about 1-2 seconds per
lap slower than the R1 in the dry.

>		- weight reduction

Remove stuff from the car.  ;)

>		- suspension upgrades:
>			- springs	(Eibach)

For racing, the Eibach Road Race springs are great.  Will Turner sells some
special race springs for the E30 M3 that are stiffer than the Eibachs.  For
driver schools and autocrosses, the Eibach Pro-Kits work well.  I also like
the H&R springs, but I don't know if they make them for the E30 M3 or not.

>			- struts	(Koni/Bilstein)

Bilstein Sports or Koni adjustables.  Your choice.

>			- sway bars	(Eibach)

Suspension Techniques adjustable swaybars work well.  Start with the rear
bar set full soft.

>			- strut braces

Front strut brace will help reduce body flex.  The E30 M3 sheet metal is
light.  Rear strut brace does nothing.

>		- brakes
>			- pads/fluid
>			- x-drilled

I like the Performance Friction 90s for the track.  You'll need a pad that
is a little softer for autocross.  The PF90s only work well when they are
very hot.

Forget cross-drilled rotors.  Gas-slot them if you want to improve pad
compression on the rotors.  Duct the front brakes for cooling on the track.
 E30 M3 front rotors are easy to warp on the track without brake ducts.
Remove those useless foglights and install some ducts.

>			- chip		(Conforti of course!)

Of course!  Hint:  Although Conforti's chip can be run on 92 octane pump
gas, it loves high octane unleaded race gas.  You'll feel the difference.

>			- air intake

Get the Motorsport airbox from the 90-on model.

>		- exhaust
>			- borla

Borla is a good choice.  I've had one on my E30 M3 track car for about 5
years and it's still fine.

>		- seating

For the track, there are lots of nice race seats.  If you install a
lightweight race seat, use a seat back brace attaching the seat to the
rollbar or rollcage.  One of the more popular race seat seems to be the
Sparco.  I have a Momo Top Nascar in mine.  It's cut a little wider than
most race seats, so it's not unbearable to drive the car long distances to
the track.

Go play in traffic.  ;)

Bob Stommel
Hoosier Chapter