RE: bmw-digest V9 #109

This is my first post to the list and I was hoping some of you could help
me out.  I have recently been having some problems with my 1995 530ia.  I
have 62400 miles and am no longer under warranty.  When making a quick
start or passing, the rpms will increase to the proper level, then when
slowing down or maintaining speed, the rpms will "stick".  Even if the rate
of speed decreases the rpms stay the same(too high).  I had the car in the
shop for three days worth of tests and they could find nothing wrong (even
though when they drove it they had the same problem).  I have had one guy
tell me that it could be a problem with the difference in gas oxidation in
the US and abroad or something, and at times BMW has had to rebuild or
replace the engine block!!  Secondly, is there anyway to get the radio five
digit Code (I had to replace the battery) without having a dealership
charge me to pull the radio out? The code is nowhere to be found in my
papers.  Enough rambling.  Thanks in advance.
Mitch Windom
mwindom@domain.elided