Help: replacing E30 aux fan resistor

Help!
	My aux fan is not blowing with the AC on. Jumping the wires at the
coolant temp sensor resurrects it only for hi speed operation. Swapping
relays and fuses has not effect on the lack of low speed turning.
	I suspect that my aux fan resistor is dead. However, I am puzzled as
to how to remove it.
	It is an all black resistor (not the whitish ceramic type). It looks
like it is held in place by two small Phillips screws or what's left out of
them after 9 years of exposure to the elements. To make matters worse I can
barely squeeze my hand into the apron opening to reach the thing. Also it
looks like the resistor is hard wired/soldered to the wires.
	Does anyone have any suggestions on removing the resistor with human
hands? Are those really Phillips screws?

TIA,
alex
'89 325i

PS: Please CC: replies to afadeev@domain.elided