E28--Died!

     My 86 535i quit on me last week.  I was on a business trip to Rhode
     Island, about 250 miles from home.  On my way home, I stopped briefly.
     When I got back in my car, it started, and as I backed out of the
     parking spot, it sputtered and stopped running.  From that point on,
     it would turn over fine, but just not start.

     I thought it might be one of three things:  Timing chain broke
     (doubtful), rotor broke (possible), or the pin on the flywheel came
     off.  Anyway, I found a local shop (non-dealership).  He says that I
     have a very weak spark from the coil, which rules out all of the
     above.

     This happened very suddenly, and so far the mechanic has not diagnosed
     the problem.  If anyone has experienced a similar problem, or has any
     ideas, please let me know at ckomulainen@domain.elided.

     Thanks.

     Craig K.
     86 535i
     121K
     Stock, no alarm systems or kill switches.