E36 Lower dash panel removal

I am in the process of mounting my V1 concealed display module in the
instrument pod of my 98 M3/4  :)
The module mounts very nicely with velcro on the left side of the instrument
pod. The only thing it covers is the idiot light for the fog lights. This
light
is too bright anyways.
My question: I am having difficulty lowering the under dash panel. There is
a round black rubber plug at the upper left of this panel, that looks like a
cover for a screw. I have tried to pry at it with a small screwdriver, have
buggered it up a bit, and don't want to totally destroy it.
Anyone out there know how to get it out without too much damage, and any
other things I should know about.
BTW I LOVE this car.
Also does anyone know when the Jim C. Flash download stuff will be ready for
sale. I am looking forward getting sharked , but would prefer not to give
up my car while waiting for Fed X.

Larry Eisner

M3/4 waiting anxiously for break in period to end.