I6 vs. V6

It was written in response to the recent thread on V6's

Road & Track had an excellent Tech Tidbit on engines recently.  The
only two configurations that are inherently balanced (vertical &
rotational 1st and 2nd order forces) are an I6 and a V12.  A V8 can be
balanced with some creative crankshaft work.
- ----------
True.  I think this thread started a little while ago when someone suggested
that BMW was going to start using V6's instead of I6's.  This is actually
the second time I have heard this but still don't see much credence in it.
A while back, European Car ran an article on how Mercedes was switching to
the V6 because it was cheaper to produce and could make the same power.  The
only differences noted by the author were the lack of smoothness and the
sweet exhaust note of the I6.  He went on to discuss that the engine would
be cheaper because Mercedes would be able to use the modular concept.  That
is, a V6 is the same block as a V8, just with two less cylinders.  All of
the pistons, valves, etc. were the same and would lower production costs.

He then went on to postulate that BMW would be forced to follow suit because
Mercedes would have the edge on price, due to the less expensive modular
engine design.  I thought that this was crap when I read it and from the new
engines we are seeing out of Munich, I believe that I am right.  I guess
we'll all have to see.

Shane Kleinpeter
Tarheel Chapter
BMW CCA#110057