<E30> re: Muffler Longevity

Dave comments
>I am a bit put out that I just had to replace the muffler on my beloved
>91 iX (aka Carbert) since the muffler being replaced lasted just over
>two years. I admit that my driving, 1 mile to work and lots of around
>town, is hard on a muffler but two years seems excessive. I am expecting
>too much? I add that the muffler was a BMW replacement muffler put on
>when on I bought the car.

2-3 years seems to be normal around here (Ottawa Canada)

was it a BMW muffler or an aftermarket one ?
if it was a BMW I am a bit surprised.. they generally last a bit longer
 than the millions of aftermarket ones (bosal, borla, etc)

driving 1 mile to work is the *worst* possible amount you could drive.
lots of condensation of nasty stuff inside the exhaust and no chance
to heat it up and dry it out.

you might consider a stainless steel exhaust.. probably cost ~2x but should
last for ever (stainless steel doesn't corrode much)

chris pawlowicz
'89 325i