Re: BIG Sways Bars

DuaneCollie wrote:

[... lotsa good advice deleted ...]

> O.K. onto the mods:
>
> (1) Bilstein Sports - keeps the nose dive down. Wonderful shock for the
> bucks. $ 500
> (2) H&R 29910 Springs - lowers the car and makes it stiffer. Not too
> radical. $ 300
> (3) Swap your bearing strut mounts on the front, Left to Right for more
> Neg. Camber
> (4) R-D Sport Sway Bars (adj). Set these up soft for starters.  $ 300
> (5) Adjust camber in rear to -1.8
> (6) Adjust toe-IN on rear to 1/8 degrees total.
> (7) Adjust toe on front to ZERO or 1/8 degees total IN on front, your choice.
> (8) Get a set of "R" Compound tires (Hoosier, BFG, Kuhmo, Toyos) $ 800 +
> wheels

You don't mention the oil pan from the LTW... after getting your car to handle like
its on rails, don't you need to add the oil pan to save the car from itself??

I know some cars do not experience the tap-tap-tapping, but isn't it likely that all
are experiencing added wear whether they tap or not???

These are not rhetorical questions... I am curious about the collective wisdom on
this.  I have been considering the LTW oil pan since I read about the tapping
problem, but my M3 hasn't started tapping yet (my 328i did), so I haven't got past
"thinking about it".  But I worry...

Recommendations?

Another possible addition to the above list would be the X-brace from the
convertible -- if nothing else, it helps protect some vitals from the lack of road
clearance the other mods give -- but many have claimed handling benefits.  And its
only about $150.

Brian
98 M3/4, modified roughly as above,
         but at over twice the cost (Dinan installed by dealer);
         understeer is mostly gone, but still doesn't oversteer