Re: <ALL> Re: 325iC A/C compressor cycling when hot

<snip>
My '87 325iC A/C compressor is cycling about once every 30 seconds
when the car gets hot - that is, when I'm stuck in traffic. The result
is air that starts to get cold, then warms back up again, giving a
wholly unsatisfying cooling effect.

I've had the system checked at a shop to see if it needs a charge, but
apparently it doesn't. The aux cooling fan is working fine, after
getting some electrical gremlins squished.

I'm wondering if anyone can offer an opinion.
Thanks
Matt
<end snip>***********

BMW puts an overheat protection switch on the compressors.  Your's may be
going bad or possibly working since it's getting very hot.  The single
wire feeding the compressor should be routed thru this switch if it's
mounted on the unit.  Testing it might mean pulling it out and dunking it
in hot water that was heated in the microwave [don't put the switch in
there].  It should open when hot but not too hot.  Good luck on yours
because I just fixed my A/C problem.

Curt Kiser
SVR - E28 division of ///Team Bubba Racing
BMW CCA #118507 Tidewater Virginia Chapter
85' 535i
86' 325