E30 overheats while idling

I had my 1990 325I towed to a local dealer because my
coolant pump belt broke. I agreed to the timing belt
service package which included replacing all V-belts.
I also had the water pump replaced, the sevice advisor
said the water pump had some play in it and could give
out at any time. So I had the water pump replaced also.
When I picked the car up the service advisor told me
that the temperature guage would move toward the hot
side while idling. I thought he was trying to indicate
that only a small amount of movement. Today I seen
this happen while sitting in line at the drive thru
bank. The temperature gauage almost went in the RED!!
What is this
Rick Benjamin
BMW CCA
crb@domain.elided