Auto Transmission Lifespan / Etc (??)

Hi guyz,
        Does anyone know the approximate lifespan of the auto tranny on the
newer BMWs??   My mechanic said approximately 75k miles for city stop-n-go
traffic.  My car has about 45k miles and the shifts are getting rough...at
least not as smooth as it used to be......Any input???  Also, I have
replaced the propeller shaft coupling but as I engage the gear into REVERSE,
there is still a little clunk.  Why is this so?  Could it be the
differentiates gettin loose?  Any remedies??