Bad smell from M3

I have a 97 M3/4 with 17000+ miles on it. A while ago, I discovered a
strong burning smell from under the hood. The smell is so strong that it
would fill the whole garage just in a few minutes after I turn off the car.
I could not quite figure out what the smell is. The smell almost seems
metallic or plastic. I took it to the dealer and they said there was no
leak from the car.

I just don't know what to do next. Have any M3 owners out there encountered
such a problem?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Vincent