Air conditioner problem

Hi,

I have an 86 325es with 170k miles on it. Whenever I turn on the air
conditioner, the engine idles erratically. The tach needle jumps below
1000 rpm whenever I shift into neutral. Once the car warms up it does not
do this. Gear shifting becomes fairly rough when the A/C is on too. What
is the problem here? Is the A/C taking up too much power from the engine
or what? I try not to run the A/C unless its real hot, but it has been
getting really humid lately up here in Wisconsin!

Greg