Valentine 1 questions

I've got a few quick questions about Valentine 1 radar/laser detectors, so
please bear with me:

- -  Should I get laser protection?  I'll be driving from TX though Atlanta,
and on up to D.C. in 2 weeks, and after that, I plan on driving up and down
though the Carolinas from D.C. to Atlanta pretty often.  Any advice from
folks in these parts?  (And yes, I know detectors aren't legal in VA or
D.C.)

- -  What's this stuff I hear about BMW highbeams freakin' out the V1?
Somebody mentioned that you can ask to have your V1 modified in some way to
prevent your highbeams from __________??? (voltage spike maybe?)

- -  Are there any other concerns/upgrades (like the above) that I need to be
worried about before I make the plunge?

- -  Any mounting tips or lessons learned in an E34 application?  I want to
hardwire mine somehow, so suggestions would be welcome.  And should I bother
with the remote display kit?  Are there any other accessory hardware that
may be useful?

- -  Finally, I remember reading about how you could ask Valentine 1 to sell
you a factory refurbished unit with a full, regular warranty at a lower
cost.  Any thoughts on this idea to save some $$$$$$?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts you all can provide...

Ben Trapp
benjamin_trapp@domain.elided
Dell OptiPlex & WorkStation Industrial Design
PCA / IDSA / CIP / BMW CCA #156642 (NCC)
http://www.prism.gatech.edu/~gt9775a/bmwgallery.html (Chris' page)