Re: antifreeze

> Date: Sun, 23 Aug 1998 11:52:30 -0500
> From: "Robert D. Baron" <rbaron@domain.elided>
> Subject: <All> Antifreeze & Pet Safety
>
> A dog magazine article notes that antifreeze puddles on the driveway can
> be a real hazard to dogs; they are drawn to its sweet taste but it is
> highly toxic to them.
>
> It goes on to recommend replacing ethylene glycol-based antifreeze with
> propylene glycol-based antifreeze, observing that propylene glycol is
> less toxic and tastes bitter, making it less appealing.
>
> I just went out to my garage and read the label on Prestone, which is
> ethylene glycol-based.
>
> I would appreciate any and all comments on this issue, and if possible
> suggestions as to good brands of propylene glycol-based antifreeze.

 Had a bad experience with antifreeze(Prestone)a long time ago. I had a
German Shepherd that had a pen in the garage and a run along the
outside. I had a couple containers of antifreeze sitting along where the
frame and concrete meet. I came home and opened the garage and there was
my dog laying on the floor in a pool of antifreeze with the container
chewed up next to him. Took him to the vet and they said they couldn't
save him. The reason I am writing this is a couple weeks ago there was a
post on using antifreeze as a weed killer. I thought good idea (guess
where my brains are)? So I put a strip about 4 " all the way around the
house. It really worked. The only problem Is I have a 3 year old German
Shepherd and when I cut the grass where does she lay? Along the house in
the shade. I have to watch her now whenever she is out in the yard. I
now have to cover up this 4" strip around the house. The point is all
chemicals have to be kept out of a pets reach. A dog can absorb
chemicals through their pads. Any time we use chemicals we have to be
aware of the danger of using any chemical and take the responsibility
for their use. Read the cautions. It goes with out saying the above
applies to Children.

Craig Frommelt
90 525i 120k BMWCCA (New member)