RE: DIY pressure brake bleeding tool...

Hi Ephraim and everyone,

Thanks for the mail:

> I'll go for anything that works and that saves me money. Kindly email me
> more details about your brake bleeding tool.

Well, there's not much more to tell - it consists of a BMW cap for my
master cylinder with the floatswitch guts removed (I happened to have
it in my parts box), a truck-style steel scraeder valve stem from a truck
wheel (cost me $0.50 at the local tire shop - he literally had a bucket
full of them) and a crummy hand bicycle pump.

> Add fluid right up to the TOP of the reservoir on top of the master
> cylinder (leaving some room for air), install valve lid. Pump a few strokes
> with the pump, open bleeder valve at desired caliper, pump a little more, go
> have a look at the fluid coming out of the caliper, repeat, etc. until all
> nice new fluid is seen coming out. Move on to next wheel. Don't forget to
> bleed the clutch slave cylinder at the end as well.

Works like any other pressure brake bleeding system except that you have to
pump it a little, go look at the fluid coming out of the caliper (it will
keep coming out while you walk from the hood to the caliper as the system
normalizes back to equilibrium pressure), go back, etc. Do NOT pump it up
to a high pressure. You will endanger the brake system if you do. If the
master cylinder cap leaks a little air that's fine too. We are not trying
to get a high pressure scene going here, just enough to motivate the
old fluid out of the calipers along with any air, etc.

After a couple of ounces or so of fluid has been expelled, go back, remove
the pressure cap, refill the master cylinder reservoir, replace the
pressure cap, pump a little more and continue in this way.

You will also need the classic brake bleeding used-fluid reservoir. This
consists generally of a Mason jar with two holes in the lid sized to fit
the outside diameter of the small size of tubing whose inside diameter fits
the bleeder fittings. This jar should have at least 2 feet of tubing with
it - 8" or so sticking in through one of the holes in the lid. You want
this tubing's end to lay along the bottom of the jar. This jar is used by
covering the tubing inside with brake fluid so that during bleeding into
this jar at no time can the caliper suck air back inside.

best regards,

Aaron
Aaron Bohnen                     email: bohnen@domain.elided
- -Ph.D. Candidate, Civil Engineering Department, U.B.C.
- -Technicraft Engineering Services