Efficient Engines.

After reading the several posts on turbines, I thought I would post what I
thought was a neat way of making engines more efficient.  BMW bikes are
going to use them soon, I think and then the cars.

Instead of having the throttle butterfly valve control air flow, the
engine uses variable valve opening.  The more the valve opens the more air
goes in and vice versa.  Variable opening is achieved by the cam acting on
a rocker arm as a III class lever (effort between load and fulcrum).  The
rocker arm is itself eccentrically mounted at the fulcrum and actuates the
valve stem on the load side.

Efficiency is increased by eliminating the butterfly valve's restricting
presence.

If anyone is interested, I could get the article out (Road and Track, I
think) and post the text to the list and the pic to my WWW page.

Sincerely,

Neil Deshpande
All cars pre-VaNoS