Re: electrical supercharging

     One of the benefits of this supercharging approach that I haven't seen
     mentioned is energy storage (maybe I missed it).  A battery in the
     system would allow a significant reduction in turbo lag as the
     compressor motor could used the battery's energy immediately.  I have
     actually been interested in a different configuration:

     Alternator --> battery --> supercharger

     In most street driving and some racing there is quite a bit of off
     boost time.  Imagine that the alternator is set up to only charge when
     the throttle is not wide open.  A battery is charged during this time
     and powers an electrical compressor when WFOT occurs.

     Yes the stored energy in the exhaust is wasted, but this is an
     efficiency issue.  I suspect the people on this digest are more
     interested in peak power!

     regards
     Randy King
     '73 BMW 2002tii