Re: E30 Diff Questions

John answers diff questions, then says:

>Date: Wed, 19 Aug 1998 17:18:30 -0400 (EDT)
>From: "John C. Hanes" <jchanes@domain.elided>
>Subject: re: E30 diff questions
>
>>"Scarface,"
>>
>>hello fellow bmw fanatics....i have several questions regarding the
>>differential swap on my e-30 325es...
>>
>><5> What's the advantage of the LSD and non LSD?
>
>The jury's still out on this one. I've asked this before and gotten lots
>of real technical answers. Anybody else want to tackle this one?
>
>John C. Hanes

OK, I'll take a stab at it.  If you drive where it rains or snows a lot, an
LSD
is worth having.  If you autocross, it is worth having.  If you like spinning
your rear tires (not recommended) and want to see two black streaks
down the pavement behind you instead of just one, it is worth having.

A conventional diff actually drives through only one wheel.  In low
traction situations, it seems to want to drive the wheel with the least
traction, instead of the one with the most traction.  I'm not sure why,
maybe someone who knows all about spider gears and such can explain
that.

With limited slip, the diff is driving the car through both wheels, to an
extent.  If one loses traction, the other can still get power down.

The only time I've seen any advantage to limited slip is in rain, snow or at
an autocross.  If you don't drive under these conditions, don't spend the
extra money.  That's my experience.

OK, now a bunch of flamers can dispute what I said.

Scott Miller
Golden Gate Chapter
BMW CCA #44977
1990 325i/is hybrid with LSD