Re: Racing websites?

At 10:26 PM 8/20/98 -0500, Dean Davis wrote:

>Does anyone on the list know of a website that details the regulations and
>rules for ITA, ITB, and ITC club racing?  I'd like to get a bit of info on
>what types of Bimmers can run in which catagory, as well as the manner in
>which the cars must be et up.

i'm not sure this is online anywhere, but having built an IT car, and being
a somewhat experienced SCCA tech inspector, i can give some outlines:

ITA:    2002Tii
ITB:    2002 (non Tii), 320i
ITC:    1602

cars must be 1968 or newer. some of the newer 3-series with the larger
motors are in ITS, but i don't know those off the top of my head.

the basic outline of prep rules are any springs and shocks that bolt up in
the stock fashion; any sway bars; any solid bushings (heim joints and
spherical rod ends to replace rubber/plastic bushings are a controversial
point, and i suspect that they would not survive a protest up to the SCCA
Court of Appeals). _one_ front strut brace is permitted; it may be at
either the top or the bottom of the engine compartment. it may attach at 2
points only. triangulation back to the firewall is _not_ permitted.

permitted engine mods are very mild. stock compression ratio, stock valve
diameters, stock valve springs, stock camshafts. slight overbores and mild
head milling are legal. extensive combustion chamber work is _strictly_
prohibited. you can work on the intake and exhaust ports, as long as you go
no more than 1" into the head from its face.

the Tii and the 320i must retain their stock FI. the carb equipped cars may
use the stock carb, or a weber off of the approved carb list. intake
manifolds must be stock.

exhaust system is free. fuel system piping and fuel pumps are free. fuel
line in the passenger compartment must be steel or steel braided (aeroquip
or earl's style). oddly enough, due to a mildly goofy Court of Appeals
ruling, you can run extensively modified FI pumps in the Tii.

roll cages: may attach at 6, 7, or 8 points. the attachment points are
somewhat constrained. the following 6 points are required by the rules:
feet of the main roll hoop to the floor. feet of the rear braces to the
floor. feet of the front braces to the floor. if the 7th and 8th points are
present, they must be associated with foot protection bars going forward
from the front brace to the floor, front inner fenders, or firewall. the
cage may not pass through the firewall, and may not be extended with
additional tubing on the other side.

wheel diameter must be stock; wheel width is constrained as well.

brake line plumbing is free; proportioning valves may be added. calipers
and master cylinder must be stock. ducting may be added, but there are some
constraints on openings in bodywork that may affect duct routing.

nose spoilers are legal (within some constraints); tail spoilers are not
legal unless they are a piece that could have come off the assembly line
(dealer add ons are _not_ legal; there must be factory paperwork to support
this stuff.)

interiors may be partially stripped: carpets, sound deadening, headliners,
may all come out. technically, vinyl and plastic trim bits have to remain
in place (not everyone is completely scrupulous about this.) center
consoles may be removed. the back seat may come out, but there must be a
bulkhead between any fuel tank compartment and the passenger compartment.
the front passenger seat must be retained. the drivers seat may be replaced
by any racing seat; there are some seat back bracing requirements that need
to be watched.

the dashboard must be retained, but instruments in the dash may be replaced
with other instruments or left out. steering wheels may be changed.

there's more, but you really need to call up denver and order a copy of the
GCR, and a copy of the IT Category Specification.

richard