Re: E36 Mirrors & Sideskirts

I posted a message a little while ago regarding tips on changing
the mirrors and side skirts on an E36 Coupe. There was a definate
lack of replies, I don't know whether this was because there's a
general lack of knowledge on the subject or what, but I went
ahead and did it anyway with a view to sharing what I learnt.

Its a bit long winded so I'll do mirrors in this mail and follow
up with the skirts later.

Whilst I have tried to record everything please note that details
may differ slightly from my car/experiences so treat this as a
guide only, not professional advice.

Mirrors

Replacing the standard electric mirrors on an E36 with M-Tech
ones.

Tools:  10mm socket and wrench (may differ)
        Flat head screwdriver
        Long nosed pliers
        (An assistant to support the mirror is useful)

First, get your new mirrors sprayed in body colour, make sure you
have 3 bolts and 3 washers with each mirror and there is a
connector on each mirror with four wires.

The next step is to remove the black triangular panel from the
inside of the car directly behind the mirror. This is a snap on
panel held by 3 protruding clips. Start at the top and gently
pull it off using the screwdriver to lever as close to the clips
as possible. When all 3 are pulled out you can gently wriggle the
bottom of the panel out from behind the door panel. The wiring
loom for the mirror passes through a clip on this panel so be
careful not to pull too hard.

Now the panel is off you should be able to see 2 bolt heads.
There is a third hidden behind the rubber flap that folds around
the front of the door. Get someone to support the mirror while
you remove the 3 bolts taking care not to let them drop down into
the door. The mirror should now come loose (it might be a little
stuck to the rubber pad behind)

Next gently pull the wire up from inside the door until you find
the plug (it might already be in view) and disconnect the mirror.
Make sure the plug on the loom doesn't slip down into the door!
Push the rubber grommit around the wire outwards and remove the
mirror and wire from the door completely.

The next step is to get the rubber grommit off the wire on the
old mirror and on to the wire on the new mirror. This is where
the long nosed pliers come in. Push the nose of the pliers
through the hole in the grommit and open them, using them like
forceps. The grommit should stretch wide enough to get the plug
through.

So thats the off with the old.....now on with the new.

First put the grommit onto the wire of the new mirror using the
pliers as above. Pass the wire through the hole and connect to
the loom. (Its helpful if someone can support the mirror for you
during all this) Before going any further you can now test the
mirror with the ignition on to check everything is working. This
saves having to take it off again if there is a problem.

The rest is pretty much the reverse of the removal procedure.
Push the grommit back into place. When tightning the bolts it
helps if you leave them loose until you have all 3 in, otherwise
aligning the holes could be difficult. Go round tightening each
one a little at a time whilst checking the mirror correctly mates
with the rubber pad behind. Be careful not to let the rubber get
folded over at the edges, you might have to poke it in a bit with
the screwdriver as you tighten the mirror. This is important, as
you want a water tight seal. (Don't over tighten however)

When the new mirror is in place, check again to see it its
working OK. Replace the triangular panel, first clipping the plug
in the loom back into into its clip on the panel. Slide the base
of the panel back behind the door panel taking care not to pull
on the wires and making sure the edges of the panel tuck into
their slots in the rubber pad.

Finally pat yourself on the back and be awestruck at your car's
new image.

Hope that helps someone out there

Alex