Z3 Going Nowhere (WOB)

Stefan writes:

<I had an interseting experience with a Z3 about a month ago and I would
<appreciate it if anyone can enlighten me as to what was wrong with the car.

<This Z3 (1.9) was a hire car from Avis (Aus$135/day), and on the morning I
<picked it up, took it straight down to some favourite roads and gave the
<car a good workout.

<What was really interesting was that after 6 hours of vigorous driving, the
<transmission (5 speed manual) started to play up.   I would shift up to 3rd
<gear and disengage the clutch  only to have the revs of the car go up to
<5,500 rpm before the gear would slowly engage. THIS IN A MANUAL CAR!!!!

<The problem started in 3rd gear, but slowly started to spread into 2nd, 4th
<and 5th gears...

I think I've figured out your problem here, Stefan:  after shifting, into
any gear, not just 3rd, you're supposed to ENgage the clutch.   DISengaging
it is guaranteed to make the RPM go up.
You aren't by any chance a Canadian in disguise are you?
All kidding aside, it seems likely that, after the " 6 hours of vigorous
driving", you had smoked the clutch.  My guess would be the cause was
improper operation, e.g., using the clutch pedal as a footrest.

Robert