Re: E36 Springs & Shocks

>> The 328is owner thinks I may have to go with the M3 shocks if I use the M3
>> springs because the mounting perches may be different for the M suspension.
>>
>> Anybody out there know?
>
>He is correct sir (said in best drunk sounding Ed McMahon voice).  M3 front
>springs will only fit M3 struts.  If you're buying used stuff, the easiest
>thing to do would be keep the springs, shocks and strut mounts all together.
>That way, you know you have a matching set.  If you go with new aftermarket
>springs, just make sure you order them to go with the struts that you are
>installing as well.

Also, the swaybar endlinks are different on the M3 suspension.  Instead of
connecting the sway bar ends to the control arm, they are about 8" long and
connect up to tabs on the strut.  This arrangement results in better leverage,
making the M3 swaybar more effective (surprisingly, thes waybar I put on my car
with the rest of the '95 M3 suspension was slightly smaller in diameter than
the original '93 325i one).  The non-M3 struts don't have the mounting tabs.

Doug Holcomb
'93 325i w/ M3 suspension