E30 Wiring Protection

> Date: Wed, 19 Aug 1998 11:09:52 -0400
> From: gwells@domain.elided
> Subject: E30 Wiring Protection
>
> From: Grant M. Wells@ECCI on 08/19/98 11:09 AM
>
> Well, after last weekends downpour during the Solo1 @Road Atlanta,
> I ended up with more than a little moisture making it into the interior
> of my car.  After many attempts at drying the carpet, I resigned myself
> that
> the damage was irrepairable.  So I tore 90% of the carpet & padding
> out of the car.  Most of the water is gone now, but I'm left with
> some exposed wiring that I feel needs to be better protected.
>
> The car is a 90% track car so loosing the carpet is not a big deal and
> saves
> weight.  I just wonder how to best protect the wiring that is exposed.
>
> Any of you do something special to protect those tender
> little wires?
>
> BTW, I have since sealed the offending gaps/holes that let in some of the
> water,
> but as you know windows must remain down during track sessions
> so thats where most of the water came from.
>
> TIA
>
> Grant
> gwells@domain.elided
> '87 325is w/2.9l M50 & '88 M3 underpinnings

Grant,

The easiest and possibly most convenient thing to do is install flexible split
loom wire guard.  Yo can get this from almost any electrical supply place.  A
couple of places to chek are Mouser ( 1 800 346 6873 ) or (
http://www.mouser.com   ).
They sell it by the foot in the folowing sizes:
 .29 id  P/N 481-1007-ft where ft = length in feet @ $.23/ft
 .42 id  P/N 481-1011-ft @ $.29/ft
 .52 id  P/N 481-1013-ft @ $.32/ft
 .39 id. P/N 481-1015-ft @ $.39/ft

or check out Newark Electronics ( 1 800 888 551 4801 ) or  (
http://www.newark.com   )
They have it in:
1/4   P/N 92N3669  for 100 ft @ $30
3/8   P/N 92N3670  for 100 ft @ $36.22
1/2   P/N 92N3671  for 100 ft @ $41.39
5/8   P/N 92N3672  for 50 ft @ $24.83
3/4   P/N 92N3673  for 50 ft @ $31.04
1     P/N 92N3674  for 50 ft @ $48.64

Then cover the wires and tape the loom closed.

Regards,
Jeff

- --
Jeff Schnellinger           | "Explain to me the scientific
BMW +JC +Alpine +RF +BA     |     nature of 'the whammi' "
mvnsnd at usa dot net       |          Agent Scully