Z3 Going nowhere fast!

Hi all,

I'm from Australia and new to this list and thought I should say G'day.

I had an interseting experience with a Z3 about a month ago and I would
appreciate it if anyone can enlighten me as to what was wrong with the car.

This Z3 (1.9) was a hire car from Avis (Aus$135/day), and on the morning I
picked it up, took it straight down to some favourite roads and gave the
car a good workout.

What was really interesting was that after 6 hours of vigorous driving, the
transmission (5 speed manual) started to play up.   I would shift up to 3rd
gear and disengage the clutch  only to have the revs of the car go up to
5500 rpm before the gear would slowly engage. THIS IN A MANUAL CAR!!!!

The problem started in 3rd gear, but slowly started to spread into 2nd, 4th
and 5th gears.  It got to a point where the car could only be driven in 1st
gear.  No other gear would engage even when shifted into and the clutch
released.

I managed to limp it back home and found the problem to have rectified itself
overnight.  I assume the tranny had somehow overheated, but if I am wrong or
someone can explain exactly what went wrong, I would appreciate it!

Stefan

Melbourne, Australia
82' 732i, 85' 528i, 91' 525i