Re: <02> 2002 radiator upgrade advice solicited

On Tue, 18 Aug 1998, Miller, Michael C wrote:

> I have a '76 2002 that is in need of better cooling system performance. I
> have read several articles and messages about 2 ways of upgrading the
> radiator.
>
> 1) Get the stock radiator re-cored with a thicker core.
> 2) Use a 320i plastic/aluminum radiator.
>
> Since I prefer a bolt-in approach, will #1 require permanent removal of the
> belt-driven fan? I can't see how a thicker radiator would fit without fan
> removal. Has anyone used the Metric Mechanic "HiCapacity" plastic/copper
> set-up?
>
> Any comments about your experiences would be appreciated.
>
> Michael Miller
> '76 2002

Hi Michael,

I did option 1 about 18 months ago, and it is a great solution.  No
problem with the fan rubbing.  See, its not a thicker core per se (well,
maybe it is a little thicker -- I didn't measure) -- its that the core has
three rows of tubes for the coolant to run down and be cooled vs. the
stock 2 rows.  Basically, more surface area per volume of coolant to keep
it cool.

Even stuck in traffic in 115 degree Texas heat I wouldn't even approach
the 1/2 mark with the 71 degree thremostat (modified engine).  On the
track, however (say Heartland Park in 100 degree Kansas heat), I would get
up to about 3/4 -- time for an oil cooler :=).

If your fan is really close to your radiator right now, I'd check your
motor mounts....

Good luck!

- -Jefrem Iwaniw, jiwaniw@domain.elided, '72 2002, '94 525i
 Keller, TX