<e30> Speedo - not just a swimsuit

Dean,
	Sorry to hear about your electrical troubles, they can be
frustrating.   I hope I can help.  After checking out some wiring
diagrams for the E30, I found that the cruise control, the OBC, and the
speedo are indeed all interrelated by a +12 power supply to the speedo.
The OBC gets its power from a +12 line out of the speedo, and no
functioning speedo means no speed input to the cruise control.   My best
guess would be that a solder joint break around the +12 input to the
speedo is causing your problems   I have delt with solder joint cracks on
these instrument clusters before.  This +12 line starts from a vio/wht
wire at fuse #12.  The radio is also supplied by this fuse, but off a
separate vio/wht wire at the fuse.   This wire goes directly to C2 on the
back of the instrument cluster.  The connector is white in color.  You
can find the pin location by looking for the vio/wht color wire.  If you
have a soldering iron, open the cluster up and remelt the solder at each
of the pins on the white connector, and be sure to resolder the pins from
the circuit board to the speedo daughterboard while your at it.   If you
don't have a soldering iron, we can use my handy-dandy desoldering
station.  It works great in compact areas.  Good luck.

	I wish I could have joined you and Dan out at the Northstar
autox/school, but I made other plans to attend the CART races this
weekend out at road america.   Seeing the CART cars in action was very
cool, and I am going to go again next year for sure.  For those of you in
Minneapolis/St. Paul  thinking of making the hike out to road america,
GO!   It is well worth the 5-6 hr drive.  The only problem is it will
leaving you wanting to get your own car out on this fabulous track.

PS  Any chance  we be seeing that 325 or 2002 out at BIR this year?

>I'm OK now.  Sorry about the yelling.  But that's the problem - at any
>random time, the speedometer will stop working.  I can be cruising at 85
>mph, running errands around town, or running an autocross - whenever it
>feels like it, the damn thing just quits.  It also takes out the cruise
>control when it goes, and the OBC light disappear at the same time.  My
>astute deductive sense tells me that these things may be connected,
somehow
>- - maybe they're on the same circuit.  And once they've gone out, I
have
>about a 40% chance of getting them to work again be vigorously pounding
on
>the top of the dashboard above the speedo.  (That will have to stop,
>though, because I've been reported to the County for abberant behavior
and
>car abuse.)  I cleaned the grounds that are located to the left of the
>steering column under the dah, but that only worked for a half-day.  (On
>Saturday, the driving school instructor told us to start our slalom runs
at
>about 25 mph - the needle got to 15 mph before it took the rest of the
day
>off.  The next day when I started the car - no problem!)

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]