Touching up paint on BMW wheels

     Just a note for those that have never done it...

     I bought a second set of wheels that had some slight rash on them from
     racing.  They had been touched up with a paint stick.  But the
     touchups were visible within 3 ft. or so.  I sanded the edges of the
     rims where they had been nicked with 150 grit sandpaper and then a 320
     grit sanding pad.  After sanding, clean up the dust and any
     contamination with 3M General Purpose Adhesive Remover (basically the
     same as paint prep) and a final wash of rubbing alcohol.  Let dry
     about 10 minutes and then wipe with a lint free cloth.  Using Wurth
     brand "Laquer Spray Metallic Silver"  (Art. No. 0892 181-U) I layed on
     about 6 light coats.  Remember to mask off the centers of the wheels
     with newspaper.  Wait overnight and buff any overspray off with a dry
     shop towel.  Spray on a couple of coats of clearcoat and your done.
     They look like new.

     Jim Powell
     '98 M3/4
     SVR, UUC, J 'A' P