Re: <E36> shock tower brace

On 8/17/98 9:18 AM bmw-digest owner-bmw-digest@domain.elided wrote:

>Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 08:33:50 -0500
>From: "Riggin, William" <Riggin@domain.elided>
>
>Many of the catalog listings for the E36 shock tower braces state that they
>are not for use with cars equipped with automatic traction control.
>
>Is there something I should know?
>
>Bill Riggin

Bill,

Yep, there is. Cars with ASC+T have a little gizmo (secondary throttle
actuator) that sticks up right where the tranverse bar of most strut
braces wants to be. Dinan and some others now have strut braces with
relocated parts that fit.

Note that most strut braces, including the Dinan model that I have, are
hinged at both ends. For this reason their effectiveness is severely
compromised. At the present time I know of no E36 strut brace without
hinges that will fit a car with traction control.

If you haven't already done it, the lower X-Brace is both cheaper and
more effective than any available strut brace.

Neil
96 M3
Lower X-Brace
Dinan Strut Brace