Re: Do spoilers work?

The much esteemed Bubba Duane wrote:

>The low factory spoiler is cosmetic and will slow your car down.  I know
>this because I installed one of PTG LTW takeoff's on my car (they came from
>the factory with the low spolier, not the wing installed) and my top end
>has scrubbed off down the Summit Main Straight.  I used to see an indicated
>top speed of 132 to 134. Now I can only get 126 to 128 in the same spot.
>This is not a one time run, but every lap.  No other changes were done to
>the car that could have an effect on top end.  Damn thing is heavy, too.
>Looks great on the car but I wouldn't do it again.  Anyone want an Avus
>Blue factory spoiler with like new paint and the brake light?
>
>The REAL E36 Spoiler is the high 2-piece LTW wing which I should have
>bought. Trouble is .. that sucker is expensive...about $ 1,300.00 with the
>spacers. This wing comes into play at about 80 m.p.h. and from the Club
>Racers I've spoke with - really honks the car down in the corners in a big
>way. HOWEVER - it is so effective at what it does that you MUST run the
>accompanying front splitter otherwise the front end rises and the car
>steering gets psycho.  Front Splitter is another grand. Other downsides are
>rapid tire wear from the downforce and you will lose top end as well
>(though you'll more than make it up in the high speed turns).
>
>So unless you are ready to pony up abotu $ 3K for real aerodynamics (don't
>forget paint and prep) on an E36, everything else will slow you down....but
>you'll be lookin' fine.

Car & Driver just did an article on this in the issue I just got (must be
September). Their conclusions were just like what Duane said. You basically
just lose top end with 'em, and don't improve downforce. However, they
didn't test LTW parts, which probably have just a little engineering
thought put into 'em, unlike those tacked onto the trunk of a Mustang (see
article).

I'm not an engineer either, but several of the guys at C&D are....

Bill Bauman
'97 328is w/sport pkg
BMWCCA #150616
Genesee Valley Chapter