Do Spoilers Work?

Kendrick asks:

>Does the rear spoiler really serve any functional purposes other than
>enchancing the sporty look of a E36?
>Does it really increase a down force pressure on the rear tires? If so,
how
>fast does the car have to be going in order for that to take effect?

Kendrick,

See this month's Car and Driver.  In a word they have some effect but only
limited for our apps. Absolutely necessary at track speeds.  Real spoilers
and wings that is, not visual enhancement aids as typically found.

Or as Steve Dinan allegedly said - they add a down force equal to their
weight.

Or what Bubba Duane told you is the gospel.

Interesting - lip spoilers as in the ugly rubber things found on earlier
iS's, etc. might actually improve gas mileage slightly as they de-couple
the airflow and prevent the aft turbulence at the rear of the car.

YMMV.

Bob Duckworth